Julie Rose Stadium, built in 1997, supports a range of events from world class athletics to triathlons. Working for Freedom Leisure, the UK-based not-for-profit leisure trust, the brief was to refurbish the existing gym and exercise studio.
- We worked closely with Freedom Leisure to create the feasibility study and concept designs, in order to win the bid with Ashford Borough Council.
Following the successful tender, we supported the project through:
- Coordination of internal and external stakeholder communications in a challenging political environment.
- Project Management, Cost Planning and Value Engineering throughout RIBA stages 0-4 to achieve executed contract on budget.
- Management of the design team through RIBA stages 0-3 to deliver to scope.
- We undertook an open book negotiation procurement process, supporting Local Authority community and business engagement.
- Working closely with Freedom Leisure, we set up a Covid-safe temporary gym while work was carried out.
- Implementation of rigorous Change Management processes through RIBA Stage 5-6 to deliver £170k additional works required by Client.
- Cost Management throughout Stages 5-6 to deliver the project within budget with final account agreement within 4 weeks of completion on site.
- Project delivered to scope on programme in 2021 and within approved budget, in a challenging pandemic environment.
Following the completed refurbishment of the gym and exercise studio, Julie Rose Stadium attracted a further £300,000 grant from Ashford Borough Council to deliver a re-surfaced athletics track.
To operate effectively, especially during challenging circumstances, you need to work with the right partners. Clarkson Alliance is one such partner who care as much as we do, work with us to highlight and deal with issues and who collaborate closely to ensure delivery – and, in the case of Julie Rose Sport Stadium, support over-delivery of the scope.
Graham Watson, Group Facilities and Environmental Manager, Freedom Leisure
Project Management, Cost Management, Design Services
Client: Freedom Leisure for Ashford Borough Council
Conservation and Heritage Journal
Conservation and Heritage Delivery of sensitive project management in heritage and conservation is examined in an article in Issue 36 of Conservation + Heritage Journal this quarter. Reflecting on the work at St Nicholas' Chapel, Kings Lynn, the article provides an...
We are recruiting for a Cost Manager
Recruiting for a Cost Manager Due to our pipeline of secured work, we are looking for another Cost Manager to join our team. You will be an ambitious team-player and working towards Senior Cost Manager status. As well as embracing the opportunity of being involved in...
Delivering success: how to stop fear disrupting your project
If our status is threatened, we feel uncertain about our future, or are treated unfairly we may respond negatively.