Caledonian Clock Tower and Heritage Centre
Caledonian Park in Islington, north London, has a rich history. It was the site of a 17th century mansion, which then became a tearoom, tavern and pleasure gardens; this was then replaced by a cattle market in the mid-19th century and the area was transformed into one of the largest markets in Europe.
The centrepiece of the market is the Clock Tower; Clarkson Alliance is delighted to be working with Islington Council and the Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF) to provide project management services to restore the clock tower and develop a small heritage centre. This centre will enable the development of a programme of activities, training and volunteer opportunities to encourage use of the park and engage the community with the local heritage.
The conservation works include:
- Undertaking essential repair and conservation work and make access improvements to the Grade II* listed Clock Tower
- Repair the original ‘market’ railings
- Develop a range of displays to inform visitors of the historical importance of the site
- A heritage centre, including a room for school sessions and family activities; accessible toilets; café; park ranger office and area for use of park volunteers.
Construction began on the project in October 2017 and is due to be completed in early 2019
Clarkson Alliance is providing project management services
- Client: London Borough of Islington
- Contract: JCT intermediate
Related news and projects
Construction is now officially underway at Braywick Leisure Centre, Maidenhead. The first stage of the build includes work to create additional parking spaces for residents to use from early 2019. Over the coming months foundations will be dug and drains and utility...
Following a £1.2m investment, Clarkson Alliance managed delivery of significant capital improvements to the leisure centre
Read Anna’s thoughts as published in the Autumn edition of APM Project Magazine