Caledonian Clock Tower and Heritage Centre
Caledonian Park in Islington, north London, has a rich history. It was the site of a 17th century mansion, which then became a tearoom, tavern and pleasure gardens; this was then replaced by a cattle market in the mid-19th century and the area was transformed into one of the largest markets in Europe.
The centrepiece of the market is the Clock Tower; Clarkson Alliance is delighted to be working with Islington Council and the Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF) to provide project management services to restore the clock tower and develop a small heritage centre. This centre will enable the development of a programme of activities, training and volunteer opportunities to encourage use of the park and engage the community with the local heritage.
The conservation works include:
- Undertaking essential repair and conservation work and make access improvements to the Grade II* listed Clock Tower
- Repair the original ‘market’ railings
- Develop a range of displays to inform visitors of the historical importance of the site
- A heritage centre, including a room for school sessions and family activities; accessible toilets; café; park ranger office and area for use of park volunteers.
Construction began on the project in October 2017 and is due to be completed in summer 2018.
Clarkson Alliance is providing project management services
- Client: London Borough of Islington
- Contract: JCT intermediate
Related news and projects
Anna’s leadership skills, passion for learning and strengths in communication and strategic thinking make her the ideal person to lead the company’s project delivery.
Find more information on a ‘Meet the Buyer’ event being held as part of the Braywick Leisure Centre project.
Is there a risk that the construction industry is falling back on technology to bring about much-needed collaboration? We look at what more could be done.